Friday 21 May 2010

"Please keep Duncan in your thoughts"

The following was originally a "note" posted on Facebook, starting September 27, 2007.  It chronicles the final 2 months of Duncan's life when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Duncan lived January 1, 2000 to November 13, 2007.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 - a.m.:
The past couple of days, he hasn't quite been himself. Although he was still eating, acting normal for the most part, he was less energetic and had the shivers.

Yesterday, when I came home from work, he was REALLY lethargic and didn't want his supper (which is not normal for him as he's always excited for his food). I thought I would take him for a quick one-on-one walk to see if that would perk him up. While we were at the door, about to leave, his legs started to spread and he collapsed to the floor. Right there and then I packed him into the Jeep and off to Downsview Veterinary Hospital we sped.

He was checked over - no physical bumps, blockages that Dr. Helynck could feel. His temperature was normal, as was his heart rate. She took some blood work and said while he was obviously weak (because of the way he was walking/standing), she didn't know what was wrong. When he got off the table, he lost his bladder (likely due to his weakened condition). She sent me home to watch him, and she'd call me about his bloodwork.

While standing at the reception to pay my bill, Duncan fell to my feet and had what appeared to be a seizure. I was told to stick around and wait for the bloodwork, and to see if anything else happened to Duncan. In the end, his blood panel was normal. She sent me home to monitor him closely but if anything else were to happen, to rush him to the Animal Emergency Clinic in Dartmouth. She was sending the bloodwork results there so that they would have it in case I took him there.

We made it through the night. He is still shivering and still not himself, but he doesn't appear to be weak in the legs nor did he have any more seizures that I'm aware of (he slept by me all night and I'm pretty attuned to him). I may still have to take him to the AEC for further tests. Please keep him in your thoughts as we get through this nightmare. :( Thanks to Lee Anne, Janet and my sister Kellie for their words of support last night.



Update September 27 - later that a.m.:
UPDATE: just got home from Dr. Carnegy's office (thankfully they could fit me in!). All indications point to Duncan being on the mend as he behaving much better now. Still not 100%, but better than last night, and even this morning.

Dr. Carnegy was such a nice man and responded well to Duncan. I'm to continue to monitor him and call Dr. C in the morning with an update (if nothing changes before then).

Update October 1:
Well, just when I thought/hoped he was on the road to recovery, Duncan relapsed overnight Saturday night. He began with the shivers, and by morning he was weak/wobbly again (however, his symptoms were nowheres as bad as they were last Wednesday night). I rushed him off to the Metro Animal Emergency Clinic in Dartmouth. He was checked over in the exam room, and admitted for the day while they could observe him and run some tests. In the end, I was able to take him home before supper. Despite all the symptoms he has, there isn't enough to pinpoint to one definite condition.

For the moment, he's being treated with antibiotics as if he has an inner ear infection. If I don't see improvement within 2 weeks, or if he deteriorates before then, we'll have to go to the AVC (vet college) on PEI, to have the Neurologist look at him, and get an MRI done.

Today, he is behaving like his old self, but still has weakness (his entire right side is weak). Wouldn't it be wonderful if an inner-ear infection was the cause of all of this worry, and will soon be cleared up? Please continue to send those good vibes his way.

UPDATE October 2nd:
1. Another relapse; Another trip to the vet, more blood work and a urinalysis....
2. Another seizure tonight. :'(

UPDATE October 4th:
1. Yesterday/today good days for Duncan, especially today
2. Thyroid results came back normal

UPDATE October 6th a.m.:
1. Duncan is still feeling good! Last night I thought he was relapsing again, but so far, so good. He's still a smige weak, and has the shivers at various times, but hasn't relapsed like he did on the 2nd. Keep those fingers crossed, no matter how tingly they may be getting by now. :)
2. P.M. Duncan's left eye was noticeably getting "weird" throughout the afternoon. After supper, off to the Emergency we went. His lower whites were red, and it almost looked like his iris was leaching into the whites. His pupil is very dilated. The vet said it's possibly another infection that is affecting the nerves/synapses to the eyeball. So he has another antibiotic. This vet is really leaning towards the possibility/probability that Duncan could have a tumor in his brain. As far as going to PEI, she said for $1.5 - 2k, it's a case of how much I NEED to know, as if he has a tumor, there is nothing else that can be done.

So I guess we wait and see what happens with his eye on the antibiotics, and re-evaluate later. :'( Time to go curl back up in a ball....

UPDATE October 9th:
Duncan still appears to be stronger and more like himself before this all started. The eye is the same as it was Saturday. Last night, I made the decision that we have to go to PEI and try to get to the bottom of this. We got the appointment and we're going Thursday morning. Aubrey is aware of all that is going on as I'm keeping him in the loop. He wants to help as much as he can, but it's difficult long-distance (he recently moved to Ottawa).

UPDATE October 11:
Went to PEI this morning for a consult with the Vet there who specializes in neurology. Dr. Gelens was a very nice man, but unfortunately, the outlook appears bleak. He believes too that the problems stem from a possible tumor in the brain. He asked me to be sure I really want the MRI, as he doesn't want me to have spent all that money and get mad if there is nothing that can be done afterwards. I assured him that I understood the possibilities and I just NEED to know what's wrong in order to best prepare for the future.

So Dr. Gelens took more blood, and some chest x-rays. The phone call has been made to book the MRI (it's off site from the AVC), and I will get a call with one day's notice to get Duncan there -- possibly next week. :'(

He had another seizure around 8:45 pm. This one took him longer to recover than the others I've witnessed. 3 of the 4 happened after we'd gone to the vet. As Lee Anne pointed out, he probably was under too much stress/stimulation and it brought the seizures on.

UPDATE October 12:
Got the phone call this morning. We head back to PEI on Monday morning - he'll have his MRI that afternoon and will stay overnight for observation.

UPDATE October 15:

Upon our arrival to AVC at 1 p.m., Duncan promptly dropped to the floor and had a seizure. He was whisked away by the students, and Dr. Gelens came to see me shortly afterwards - Duncan was fine and they were getting him settled in. The MRI was scheduled for 4 p.m. and would take 1 to 1.5 hours. At 5:20, I received the call that Duncan was back and resting comfortably. Unfortunately, they could see a large mass on the MRI. I then received another call shortly after 9 pm that he'd had another seizure. Needless to say, I did not have a restful night. To say that I am devastated is an understatement.

October 16:
Duncan was ready to go at 9 a.m. Dr. Gelens had a consult with me, & showed me the MRI. Duncan has a tumor almost 2 cm in diametre right in the middle of his brain, on the left side (which explains the issue with his left eye). It's not considered to be operable, and the nearest centre for radiation that he'd recommend is in Saskatoon. There is a neurologist in Quebec that I could talk to if I feel I have to pursue other options, but at this point, I don't believe I will. Duncan will be on Phenobarbital and Prednisone until the end of his days, whenever I make that decision for him. I don't have a timeline as every person/animal responds differently to their medications.

I was told what I will see when Duncan is starting to get uncomfortable from the growing tumor. When that time comes, it'll be time to help him on his way.

October 29:
It's been an interesting couple of weeks. Duncan steadily improved, beginning the day after his return from PEI (it was the night of October 16 that he had his last seizure I witnessed). From October 17/18, right through to the 25th, he was a perky boy. His Prednisone was decreased on the 4th day. He was incontinent daily, but we did have two dry days there. He was playing and generally very happy.

On Friday, October 26 in the morning, his shivers started again before I went to work. I ended up coming home right after lunch as I was worried about him, and sure enough, he seemed to be deteriorating again: weakened, head hanging low, etc. On Saturday October 27th, I made the decision to increase his Prednisone again, to the dose he had the first 3 days. By Sunday evening, he was coming around again.

Today, October 29th, he had his 2-week checkup at the vet, and he was feeling very good. He's not totally up to what he was like last week, but almost. Dr. G completely agreed with my decision to up his Prednisone. We'll play around with the dosage for a little while and hopefully hit on what he does well with.

He had a busy day and is exhausted tonight. First night in a while that he hasn't paced and chewed bones for hours before settling down. Hopefully things will continue on an even keel, because yesterday I was feeling that he is going to deteriorate fast.

November 2:
Duncan had a seizure at 3:30 this morning, and it was the first one I've seen since we got back from PEI, and also the longest-lasting one. He was fine all day though... no weakness, etc.

November 13 - final entry:
Despite the fact that Duncan had so many good days, it just wasn't meant to last. I think he fought hard to keep this awful thing at bay. Yesterday at around noon time, while on an errand, Duncan had a seizure in my Jeep. We went home, and we stayed low for the remainder of the day. At 11 p.m., he had another. At about 2:30 a.m., he had another, and at about 3:45 a.m., he had yet another. They were all quite lengthy. Today, he was so exhausted, and at approximately 12:30, he had another, which was the worse one, and I saw him turn blue.

I wasn't sure on my way in to the vet if I was definitely going to help him on his way, but once I was there, I knew I couldn't let him go through that anymore. Duncan died in my arms at 2 p.m., with my mother beside me.

Rest in peace my darling boy. You were simply the best and there will never be another like you.


(this was the final photograph of Duncan, just a few days before he died - enjoying the first snowfall on November 11, 2007).

1 comment:

melgeo126 said...

So sad, brought tears to my eyes.