Saturday, 31 July 2010

Oscar update again, again....

Sadly, we've had a little bit of a setback...

Those of you who read this blog and my FB updates know that Brosa is a bit bouncy (and should have been named Tigger):

Tigger: [singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one!

But I digress....

Last night, after arriving home from work and taking all 3 pups outside for their nature-calls, Brosa, as usual, bounced up on me, and unfortunately came down on Oscar's back.  Oscar, who had been doing phenomenally well all week, let out a yelp and from there on, I could see a regression in the good progress he'd made.

This morning was his scheduled appointment to remove his stitches with Dr. Carnegy, who unfortunately was quite busy and running far behind and therefore wasn't able to see us.  It was decided to let one of the technicians remove his stitches, and because of what happened last night, he was given another two rounds of therapeutic laser.  He was a very good boy, and even wanted to play with a sweet little Dobie puppy who came in.

After our return home, I got him settled into his crate while I went out for a few hours.  I came home to discover he had been licking at his incision so much that it opened up a bit.

You can't really tell in this photo as I didn't want to fool with it too much.

Minutes later, off we go to the Metro Animal Emergency Clinic.

Sure enough, the very nice (and good looking!) Dr. Alex Hare, the doctor on call, confirmed that I was not over-reacting and that he required 6 staples to close this back up. 

Poor FrankenOscar!

And if that was not bad enough, I've noticed in the past few trips in the car that Oscar is beginning to suffer some anxiety.  Just as we left MAEC, he started open-mouth panting, then crying, then outright squealing, which he has never done before except for when he was high on a drug he was given once upon a time in order to cut his nails.  I did an illegal U-turn at Wright Avenue and sped back to the clinic.  Dr. Hare also believes it's his anxiety as the sedative they gave him is not strong enough to cause any adverse reactions.

Poor buddy - we can't stop going for therapeutic laser treatment when he needs it (and eventual staple removal), but I will have to start clicker-training drives to be a positive thing again for him.  He used to always love drives.  This little guy (no bad nick-names for the time being) is breaking my heart!

No comments: