Saturday 18 August 2012

2012 is a really shitty year

I could be forgiven for hoping the Mayans are right.

Still mourning the loss of my mother.  Gone too soon.  The liver transplant surgery should have taken place 2 years ago when she was added to the list, not when she was too sick to survive it.

No sooner had the funeral taken place and foster dog Walker had been adopted, that Brosa started having uncontrollable thirst and urination in the house.

Our primary vet, after spending $1500 in vet fees, multiple blood work and tests, xrays and emergency fees, simply gave up and said "it's stress".

I called bullshit on that, and went back to a vet we hadn't used in 2 years (I have a problem with the amount of time it takes to get an appointment there).

He certainly was up to investigating other tests and diagnostic possibilities.

Unfortunately, since July 9th I now stand at $2700 spent on additional bloodwork and tests, ultrasounds and various medications, and still no diagnosis for my poor boy.

My Turd, my Monkey Man, my 3 year old baby, is deteriorating, and no one knows what the hell is going on!  His results are closest to Cushings Disease, but not 100% so.

We are waiting on blood work results from the PEI college (blood drawn Monday August 13th) and as of Friday, still not in.  So what does the vet do when I report that Brosa is worsening?  Give me extremely toxic medication to treat Cushings (Lysodren, along with Prednisone to counteract the effects Lysodren may have on him) without a diagnosis of it.  I gave him one dose at supper and then thought better of it.  I'm not going to kill my dog with a drug he may not need.

I haven't had a full night's sleep (not more than 5 hours) since before my mother passed away.  I'm up 2-4 times a night with Brosa when he urgently needs to go outside (and STILL has pee to spare in the house).

I fear I may have to *be kind* soon as I don't want Brosa to suffer much longer.  His quality of life hasn't existed in almost 2 months (weak, lethargic, clearly not happy).

I know vets aren't miracle workers, but I need assurance from them that they care, that they're consulting with others in the field that may bring a fresh pair of eyes.  I'm not getting that, and I'm both pissed and heart-broken.

*end rant* Hopefully next post will bring better news.

Here's a video of Brosa having a swim last week.  He was quite weak, but still gave it an effort to cool off.

No comments: